Lake Sunapee is a glacial lake located in the southwestern part of New Hampshire,. It is the fifth-largest lake in NH. The lake is approximately 8.1 miles long and from 0.5 to 2.5 miles wide, with a maximum depth of 105 feet.( 4125 acres )
The lake is located within the towns of Sunapee, Newbury, and New London. It is a popular destination for swimming, boating, saliboat racing, fishing, and hiking. The lake is also home to a number of historic sites, including three lighthouses.
The lake is fed by a number of streams and rivers, including the Sugar River, Cold River, and the Sunapee River, it drains into the Connecticut River via the Sunapee River.
The water quality in Lake Sunapee is excellent.( oligotrophic ) The lake is also home to a variety of fish species, including smallmouth bass, lake trout, salmon, yellow perch, chain pickerel, and largemouth bass.
Lake Sunapee is also a beautiful and popular destination for dinner cruises on MV Kearsarge.. The lake is surrounded by mountains and forests, Including Mount Sunapee Ski Resort
Here are some additional facts about Lake Sunapee:
- The lake is believed to have been formed by glaciers during the last Ice Age.
- The first European to see the lake was Samuel de Champlain in 1603.
- The lake was first settled in the 17th century.
- The lake was a popular destination for summer vacationers in the 19th and early 20th centuries as trains brought early visitors.
- The lake is home to a number of historic sites, including three lighthouses.
- The lake is a popular destination for recreation, including swimming, boating, fishing, skiing, and hiking.
- The Algonquins called the lake Soo-Nipi or "Wild Goose Waters"
- The lake from the sky is shaped like a Goose
If you are interested in learning more about Lake Sunapee or other waterfront homes in NH. Lady of the Lake Realty agents service all the quality lakes, Lady of the Lake Realty since 1999 - e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org #nhlakesrealty #luxurylakefronthome for more information. www.nhlakesrealty.com
Scroll to the bottom for homes available