Lake Winnipesaukee Towns with Waterfront Real Estate
Living on Lake Winnipesaukee: A Lifestyle You Can Expect
In addition to Lake Winnipesaukee Real Estate you will find all current MLS homes and/or condos on Winnisquam, Waukewan, Wicwas, and Pemigawasett Lake in Meredith, plus the exclusive Grouse Club Community. Meredith Bay Community, and Southdown Shores that offer great Amenities along with access to Winnipesaukee. On Lake Winnisquam the Waldron Bay Community is a great option with tennis courts, walking trails, docks, and the largest beach on Winnisquam.
Meredith: Located in the northeast corner of Lake Winnipesaukee, Meredith is a picturesque hub of activity. In the summer you can dock at the town docks and shop or dine at the local in town restaurants. Every weekend you will find a change in venue downtown. In water wooden boat shows, crafts fairs or a lovely art exhibit on the shore. Activity doesn’t stop in the winter with pond hockey to major fishing tournaments. The town is host to golf, hiking, biking, beaches, and marinas. Major ski resorts are just a short ride. Waterfront homes for sale in Meredith NH
Laconia: Located on the shores of Lake Winnipesaukee and Winnisquam is our major city on the lake. Laconia is home to many of the major attractions on the lake. Weirs Beach Boardwalk, Laconia Bike Week, Dog Sled Racing, Snowmobiling, Golf, Beaches, Mount Washington Cruise Line, Airplane Tours, Marinas, and the list goes on. Shopping, Restaurants, and Skiing are all within minutes of downtown. Waterfront homes for sale in Laconia NH
Gilford: Situated on Lake Winnipesaukee, Gilford is home to Gunstock Mountain Ski Resort- a four-season resort with skiing, cross-country skiing, zip lines, hiking trails, mountain coaster. Bank of New Hampshire Pavilion at Meadowbrook -a summer concert venue with top performers. Ellacoya State Park is the site of the Iron Man Triathalon Competition and summer sailboat racing series. Shopping and restaurants, as well as the major box stores, are all a short drive away.
Governors Island in Gilford, the most exclusive bridged island on the lake, is home to numerous multi-million dollar homes. A relative we took on a boat tour once commented: “wow, look at all those hotels!”. Gilford is diverse, shoreline is dotted with homes and cottages also plus well-regarded Broadview and Samoset Condo Communities. Waterfront homes for sale in Gilford NH
Alton: Located at the southern tip of Lake Winnipesaukee, Alton has the only registered FAA ice landing strip in the country. The town center has a variety of hardware stores, a major grocery store plus restaurants and one of the two chain restaurants found around the lake. One of my favorite hiking trails is Mount Major, my wife and I would race up and down the trail when we lived on Halfmoon Lake, also in Alton. (We were younger then) One of the most pristine smaller lakes in the area, Sunset Lake, is located just to the east of Alton Bay. Rattlesnake Island also in Alton is one of Winnipesaukee’s largest islands.
Back in the early 1900s the train ran up from Boston and traveled through Alton with summer guests. Along the tracks you would find local stops, a traveler looking for the train would hang out the flag for the train to stop. I sold Camp Fisher in 2017 and they told me the 6 cottages on site would have summer residents from New York City staying for the summer. They said a vegetable truck and meat truck would stop by weekly with groceries. Ice was taken from the Ice House to keep the food fresh. Alton NH waterfront real estate
Wolfeboro: Located in the southeast corner of the lake, Wolfeboro offers a combination of scenic serenity plus the wide range of activities and attractions that the spectacular Lakes Region of New Hampshire has to offer. You will want to explore the Wolfeboro museums, art galleries, boating excursions, fine dining, fishing, golf, hiking, historic sites, skiing, sleigh rides, snowshoeing, dog sledding, snowmobiling, and theater in “The Oldest Summer Resort in the United States “. You can park your boat at the town docks to tour downtown or gas up at one of the marinas. You will always find something to do in winter or summer.
Wolfeboro waterbodies include Winnipesaukee, Crescent Lake, Rust Pond, Mirror Lake, and Lake Wentworth. Lake Wentworth State Park is a favorite destination for many families. Some of the most expensive and beautiful luxury homes on Winnipesaukee are located in Wolfeboro. Waterfront homes for sale in Wolfeboro NH
Tuftonboro: Don’t blink as you are driving the shoreline along Rt 109. Not much to see until you get to Melvin Village, a village of Tuftonboro. This summer vacation spot located on Melvin Bay has a marina and many luxury lakeside homes. It is also a popular spot for antique shopping. More shopping and restaurants would be in the neighboring towns of Wolfeboro or Moultonborough. This peaceful town is great for hiking and biking along with all the watersports Lake Winnipesaukee has to offer. Tuftonboro NH waterfront real estate
Moultonborough is another rural town Located along the shores Lake Winnipesaukee, Moultonborough Neck is a large land mass that forms a peninsula between Center Harbor and Tuftonboro and leads out to Long Island Winnipesaukee’s largest bridged island. Black Cat Island is another popular bridged island located in Moultonborough. Moultonborough has more shoreline on Lake Winnipesaukee than any other town which means lots of lakefront/lake-access communities and low property taxes. The gold coast aka the Kona shoreline with Sunset views is developed with many new Adirondacks and luxury homes.
Suissevale and Balmoral are large waterfront communities with beaches and amenities on Moultonborough Bay. The communities of Far Echo, Harbourside, Jonathan’s Landing are located in Moultonborough.
Lake Kanasatka, a 358 lake, is located just across the Center Harbor line. Red Hill, elevation 2,029 ft. is my favorite Northern Winni hike which rises to the fire tower and Mount Shaw, the highest point in the town. With an elevation of 2,990 ft. the site offers stunning views of Squam and Winnipesaukee.
Lake Winnipesaukee Real Estate and Squam Lake homes are available within the town’s borders. A historic landmark, Castle in the Clouds, is a famous stone mansion built in 1913 as a summer estate. Its gorgeous views, hiking trails an restaurant offer a scenic getaway. Waterfront homes for sale in Moultonborough NH
Center Harbor: At the northern point of the lake you will find the winter berth for the Mount Washington Cruise Ship. It has shoreline on both Squam Lake and Lake Winnipesaukee. At the water, you will find the town docks and a beach. Local groceries can be found at Heath's along with some of the best-baked goods and deserts around. There are also restaurants, specialty stores, and a liquor store. Golf courses are close by. The hiking trails provide views of Squam and Winnipesaukee. My favorite restaurant is in town, Canoe. Stop by. Waterfront homes for sale in Center Harbor NH
NH does not have a sales or income tax and retirement income is not taxed and ask us about low property tax towns!
Lake Winnipesaukee abounds in activities, events, and attractions for every season. Don't forget to enter the annual ice-out contest!
- Biking and Hiking - trails and opportunities are plentiful in the area.
- Boating – Lake Winnipesaukee is a boater's paradise! Leave your home dock and day trip to any of the picturesque town harbors on the lake – dock your boat and shop, dine, or take in a waterfront park craft show. Numerous marinas and public boat launches are located around the lake.
- Cruises – several cruise boats are available from the lake's various harbors. Don't miss an opportunity to take a cruise on the MS Mount Washington, the lake's largest cruise boat, and a tradition with visitors and locals alike.
- Fishing - Lake Winnipesaukee offers some of the best salmon, lake trout, and smallmouth bass fishing in New Hampshire. Winter brings ice fishing.
- Golf - Several courses are available in the area and throughout the Lakes Region.
- Islands - Lake Winnipesaukee has 253 islands, five of which are connected to the mainland by bridges: Black Cat Island, Governor's Island, Long Island, Oak Island, and Worcester Island.
- Museums – several museums are located around the lake and in neighboring areas.
- Skiing – Ski resorts are located 10 – 45 minutes away.
- Snowmobiling and Ice Sailing - get out on the water even when it's frozen! Snowmobile from your home to one of the many wonderful restaurants around the lake.
Notable Local Town Profiles
Homes, Condos and Luxury Estates on Lake Winnipesaukee can be found throughout Gilford, Meredith, Wolfeboro, Tuftonboro, Moultonborough, Center Harbor, and Alton.
- Alton is largest of the lake's towns and is the southern tip of the lake. Alton is also referred to as Alton Bay.
- Center Harbor is a small town loaded with picturesque historic homes, but don’t blink or you miss the town.
- Gilford is home to Gunstock Ski Resort, the Meadow Brook Concert Venue, and Governor's Island.
- Laconia is the 'city on the lake' and home to the famous Annual Laconia Bike Week, Dog Sled Racing, and Weirs Beach.
- Meredith is on the northeast part of the lake. It is home to the Winni Fishing Derby, many boutique shops, restaurants and an abundance of fine lodging.
- Moultonborough is home to miles of shoreline with a vast amount of lakefront homes – from cottages to luxury homes - available. A local favorite hiking trail is the Red Hill trail or a visit to Castle in Clouds where you can enjoy lunch on the famed castle's property overlooking the lake.
- Tuftonboro is home to Melvin Village - again don’t blink or you will miss this quiet lake town.
- Wolfeboro finds renown as the 'oldest summer resort' in the United States. This is your quintessential quaint and picturesque lakefront New England town with wonderful shops, restaurants, and a waterfront gazebo park, plus events happening non-stop.