Building / Designing A Lake Home! Any design Ideas?
My wife Paula and I have been selling lakefront property since 1999 and we have been fortunate enough to build two lakefront homes and view thousands of waterfront homes.
Our job is actually a lot of fun! We visit hundreds of lakefront homes yearly from vintage homes built in the 1920's to current new construction. Here are common comments I have when visiting homes built in the last 5 to 10 years. ( What were they thinking? ) ( Why in the world would you put that there? ) ( What is that? ) ( Why did you carpet the basement? ) ( That does not make any sense at all. ) ( Why would you build here? )
Before the foundation is poured and the first wall is put up think, resale. The average a lake home is owned about 10 years. Your life will change and draw you away from your dream home.
Whatever your price range there are a few basic design guidelines that will ensure a quick and profitable resale. Strike this phase from your home building design. ( This is our dream home and we are going to live here forever. ) Think resale!
Here are some basic design ideas that will ensure your home will sell quickly and profitably when the time comes.
1. Lots of big Windows.
2. First Floor master bedroom.
3. Make sure the master bedroom has a bathroom.
4. Design the bedrooms so the bed faces the lake!!
5. Front to back kitchen to great room. ( open floor plan )
6. No carpet in the basement, your only asking for trouble.
7. A large deck across the front of the home.
8. Screened porch on the side of the home or enclose some of the front deck.
8. Walk out basement if possible.
9. Fireplace or Woodstove are a must. Gas or Wood
10. Two plus bathrooms, one full.
11. Think green and wifi enable your heating, cooling and lighting.
Your budget may also include a garage with additional storage for all your toys, media room, separate space for kids and a guest suite. Warm wood interior accents with granite also adds to your enjoyment an additional value down the road.
For additional information on buying or selling lake homes call Lady of the Lake Realty at 1-888-737-5550 or e-mail at email@example.com or visit our websites to view lake homes in New Hampshire at www.nhlakesrealty.com
Contact Carl Sack or Paula Hinckley #nhlakesrealty