With over 200 lakes to choose from you need a partner to help guide you along in the process. Your agent should have some general knowledge regarding the Shoreland Water Quality Protection Act (SWQPA), wells, septics, setbacks, water quality, types of fish in the lake or pond, boating restrictions, also knowledge about the proximity to golf, ski areas, hiking and snowmobile trails.
Your budget may determine what size lake and the location of the lake. If you have selected a lake and your budget puts you on that lake great, if you are like the many of the clients I encounter where your budget does not allow you to get a home on the lake of your choice and you do not want a water access home with a shared beach what's next.
Find an agent that is diversified covering a large area they can suggest lakes you may have never heard of? Waukewan 900 acres - Merrymeeting Lake 1200 acres - Stinson Lake 300 acres - Lake Sunapee 4000 acres - Pleasant Lake, Deerfield or New London - Ossipee 3000 acres - Big Dan Hole Pond 408 acres - Highland Lake 700 acres Washington or Highland Lake 230 acres Andover - Great East Lake 1700 acres, Halfmoon Lake 250 acres, Crystal Lake in Enfield or Gilmanton both around 400 acres, and not to forget Lake Winnipesaukee. The above lakes allow motor boating, if you are looking for a quiet lake for canoeing or kayaking that have no motor boating or limited horse power lakes we can direct you to those lakes also.
Put together a wish-list with your agent and be flexible. Some ideas below to think about.
- Number of bedroom and bathrooms?
- Commute time, travel from home to the lake?
- Sandy beach? Yes of course.
- Southwest exposure for the perfect sunset!
- Private location or a community for your children?
- Seasonal lake cottage or a year round lake home ?
- Fishing ? What kind, trout, salmon or a warm water fishery.
- Snow skiing - how far do you want to be from a major resort?
- Do you want to boat, yes but motorboats or kayaks and canoes only?
- Shopping, where is the closest grocery store?
- How about the hospital?
- What about cultural activities, museums, concerts and general fun stuff?
- What about the lake size, 100 acres or Lake Winnipesaukee with 42,000 acres?
- Price you want to spend on the home?
Price may determine what lake works for you, your first step is to visit your bank and determine what you can afford, get a relationship going with the bank so if you need to you can move quickly.
Paula is your Lady of The Lake, now working with Lady of the Lake Realty We work with buyers and sellers. We specialize in lake properties covering Lake Ossipee to Lake Sunapee and everything in-between. We will direct you quality lakes and have the answers to your questions regarding your dream home. Call us at 1-888-737-5550 or visit our website at www.nhlakesrealty.com where you will find listings to the lakes we recommend.